8.17.2010

bedroom update

Okay, remember how I posted about my bedroom makeover a few weeks back? And then I went on to share my crush on shades of gray? Well, something has been bothering me about my newly decorated bedroom and I've finally figured it out. There are three things I want to change... the wall color (which I've never really been a fan of), the bed frame color (which is currently black and overpowering), and the girlishness (it is just too girly for my taste).

I've always loved the green and slate gray combo seen here, and it was actually my original color inspiration way before I found the black bed. Isn't it lovely?

via Snippet & Ink
I'm leaning towards painting the recessed wall behind the bed a dark slate color and possibly the remaining walls a creamy white. I love the look of dark gray walls contrasted by textured whites. It may seem counter-intuitive to paint a small room a dark color, but actually, using a dark color makes the wall disappear giving the illusion that the room is larger than it is. An added benefit is that the built -in shelving behind my bed will blend in with the wall and no longer be an eyesore.

Just to show you what I mean, here is another room utilizing the same palette and with built-in shelving behind the couch. I think this room is elegant and sophisticated with just the right touch of femininity.

via DecorPad

I'd love to paint all the walls the same dark gray, but I'm a little intimidated. I know it will look gorgeous when the room is sunlit, but what about in the evenings when the sun has set and the overhead lights are turned on?

Now, what about the black bed frame? What color should I paint it? I could go with a paler version of the same charcoal gray... or maybe an antiqued white? Or I could try to strip it and stain it a dark walnut to keep it from feeling too cold?

The last issue is the girlishness. The charcoal walls will roughen things up a bit, and I've already decided to remove the green floral throw I had at the foot of the bed. I've also decided to tuck in the bed skirt so that it still covers the box spring, but the base of the bed frame can be seen. Now I just need to introduce a little masculinity to the mix. Maybe some striped sheets?

Top-left & bottom-right: West Elm
Top-right & bottom-left: Matteo

No comments:

Post a Comment